Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kat: Taking Matters Into Your Own Hands

I've been very intrigued by raw food for a few months now. I haven't made any recipes because I am a little intimidated (have I mentioned I'm scared of new recipes!?!). Now that I have the freedom to cook as crazily as I'd like (the BF is overseas for a few weeks) I feel like I should take advantage of it and try something new (I don't think Lindi would be too keen on becoming a raw/vegan guinea pig!).

Enter the week-long challenge of Raw "cooking". I'm very excited to try a few new things and even more excited to get to share them with you! I will be sampling a variety of recipes from several different websites. My choices are a bit limited because I do not own any fancy machinery. A lot of raw recipes that I have read call for either a dehydrator, a spiralizer (to make fancy thinly-cut veggies) or a food processor. All I own is a crappy blender that barely chops tofu....so we'll see what happens!

This is what I'll be eating this week:


My first day actually turned into two thirds of a day eating raw. Jenna convinced me to have brunch with her after a night of shenanigans, so breakfast was the complete opposite of raw. Lunch, dinner, and dessert turned out to be a success:

For lunch, I made a raw wrap with and Chili Cheese Dipping Sauce. These combos were stolen directly from Gina...almost no changes were made...and it was delicious!

The base of the wrap was collard leaves. I had never tasted a raw collard before, so I was nervous buying an entire bundle when I knew they weren't going to be cooked. You know what? they were not bad at all! For some reason, I imagined that they would be very bitter, but that was not the case (thank god!).


The filling consisted of yellow bell pepper, carrot, tomato, cilantro, and a raw goat cheese (that I cannot remember the variety of).



2 tbsp chia seeds (soak in 1/2 cup of water for a few minutes.....gels up like crazy!)


1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/2 ts chili powder
2 tbs nutritional yeast (cheesy-tasing vegan "spice")


2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
Dash of sea salt & pepper

Blend the gelled chia seeds and everything else until smooth. It was delightful and had a wonderful spicy kick to it.


Hours later, I was on to dinner: Nori Rolls with Ginger Almond Pate from Ani's Raw (obsessed with this site!)

I'm not even going to post the recipe here, because I changed absolutely nothing. Click on the link above.





This was a very good mock-sushi wrap, and I think it would definitely satisfy any cravings of sushi with rice. The only thing I would NOT suggest, it to make my aforementioned lunch and dinner on the same day. Kind of similar = both wraps of veggies, so I was not that into dinner halfway through it.

SO.....i HAD to have dessert! I tried Gena's infamous This Post Will Change Your Life Banana Soft Serve. This recipe is taking over the internet, and for good reasons.....D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. You need to try this.....NOW! GO!


Who knew frozen bananas could be so delightful.....

...with "chocolate" sauce (agave nectar mixed with cocoa powder)!

And this concludes Day 1 of raw food. Learned some great new recipes....but we'll see if I can keep it up!

2 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy; those nori wraps look delish. I love nori...
    Great to meet you on Monday night; keep up the great posting and good luck with the 'raw' eating.

    Have a great day.

    Best,
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amie! It was great to meet you too! Jenna will join us next time! The nori wraps were delightful. try them soon!

    ReplyDelete