Saturday, September 5, 2009
Kat: Things I Used to Hate
Here are a few simple recipes based on a three foods that I used to hate....that is until I stumbled upon the right way to cook them!!
Fish: Rosemary & Lemon Broiled Salmon
This recipe works for a number variety of fish, but my favorite is salmon
Salmon fillets (number depends on how many servings you need)
1 lemon sliced
Fresh rosemary, chopped
salt & pepper
1. Lay fish out and salt & pepper both sides
2. On the side w/out skin, sprinkle chopped rosemary & layer lemons like so:
3. Flip the fish over so the lemons are on the bottom and broil (line your pan with foil for this one) in the oven for about 12 minutes. Eat immediately!
Brussel Sprouts: Oven Roasted
10 oz brussel sprouts (about 18 sprouts)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp cumin
dash red pepper flakes
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/3 cup veggie broth
1. Preheat oven to 400*
2. Prepare the sprouts by cutting the stems off each and removing any outside leaves that come loose
3. Mix together broth and spices then with the toss sprouts
4. Place sprouts on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with remaining spice mixture.
5. Bake for 30 minutes- toss once halfway through cooking time
from Martha Stewart’s Cookies
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325*
2. Mix all ingredients then drop 2 tbsp worth of mixture onto a lined baking sheet
3. Bake until slightly golden brown (about 20 minutes). Let cool completely before you move from the sheet.
For the chocolate drizzle I mixed about 3 tbs Agave with 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder.