Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Kat: Some Things Never Change

I have to give my mom credit for this recipe. It was one of the things she taught me before I went off to college: how to win friends and make a kick-ass lasagna all at once.

I really didn't know how great this recipe was until I noticed my friends asking me to make it if it had been too long since the last one disappeared. So here it is, ladies and gents, my infamous:

Vegetable Lasagna!

ingredients:
1/2 package lasagna noodles
2 leeks, chopped
1/2 medium eggplant, sliced in rounds
1/2 large yellow squash, sliced in rounds
1/2 zucchini, sliced in rounds
2-3 cups of spinach, de-stemmed
28 oz. can marinara sauce
handful of fresh thyme, de-stemmed and chopped
1 small tub cottage or ricotta cheese (I recommend ricotta, but TJ's only had cottage when I
needed it!!)
1 bag shredded mozzarella
1 egg

1. Cook lasagna noodles
2. Once they are cooked, lay out noodles on sheets of parchment/wax paper to dry (so they don't stick together and rip apart)


3. Preheat oven to 350*
4. Mix the egg and thyme (and any other additional spices you wish to use) in with the cottage/ricotta cheese
5. Grease your baking pan
6. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan
7. Start your assembly line:


noodles, sauce, & cottage cheese mixture

(don't judge me by my crappy throwaway foil pan)

eggplant & leeks


squash & zucchini


spinach & shredded cheese


8. Repeat step 7 until you get to the top of the pan
9. Place one more layer of noodles and pour the remainder of your sauce and shredded cheese to form the very top of the lasagna.
10. Bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly

(oh my god, I am so embarrassed by my bakeware. I hope the Le Creuset fairy visits me soon)

11. Take out and let cool for around 15 minutes (so that the layers will not fall apart when you cut into it.
12. Serve and DEVOUR!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that post, I have way too many veggies to know what to do with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks amazing! I need to try this. I also need you to take amazing pictures like this for my blog haha.

    ReplyDelete