Monday, October 5, 2009

Kat: There's No Crying in Baseball

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but there is this horrifying time between grocery trips when all of my produce turns bad OVERNIGHT. I'm not joking. LITERALLY overnight.

I'm pretty good at assessing the veggie freshness situation in my fridge and adjusting meal plans/recipes to incorporate the things that are on their way out. I even did this last night and mentally noted that everything looked pretty solid. Then, I start making dinner tonight AND EVERYTHING WAS ROTTING. I swear I almost screamed. I hate food to go to waste, so what do I do? Cry? No. I sharpened my knife and turned those lemons into a delicious lemon meringue pie. : )

More specifically, I had a roasting extravaganza.

Exhibit A:


Red and yellow onions, parsnips, carrots, asparagus, and yellow squash.

All you need to do is preheat your oven to 350*, chop everything up into any size you like, drizzle with EVOO, salt & pepper to taste, and if you're feelin' sassy, sprinkle with Cajun spice.

Cook for about 30 minutes and toss halfway through.

End product:


I could live on roasted vegetables.


I also had a ton of garlic laying around, so I decided to throw one into the mix.

Just remove the excess leaves and and chop the tops off of all the cloves, like so:


Wrap in foil, and sprinkle a little EVOO on the bottom and top of the cloves. Bake for 30 minutes or until the garlic is soft.


You can then pluck a clove off and squeeze the garlic out. Spread it on bread, crackers, or just eat by itself. It pretty much the most delicious thing ever.

Lesson of the day: There's no crying in the kitchen. Unless you cut off a digit. Then I'll give it to
you.

p.s. Jenna, this is just to make sure you read my posts. I CUT MY HAIR OFF (time noted, waiting for a phone call)


No comments:

Post a Comment